View Single Post
Old 07-09-19, 11:12 PM
Trekathlete

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1500, 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper M2 Pro, 2011 Cervelo P2, 2017 Fuji Beartooth 27.5+, 2016 Scott Foil Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
3t Exploro or Trek Domane

Hi Everyone,

Sorry for another should i get this or that post or maybe not...haha But it s good to get unbiased opinions that are hopefully not as swayed by marketing hype as maybe i am, so I appreciate your help ahead of time.

Anyways most my riding has been on road. Done a few crits, quite a few charity century rides, and oodles of group rides on road. I just sold my Scott Foil hoping for something a little less racy although i loved it. Anyways looking towards the future I would still like to do the same things i have done in the past but possibly be less limited and be able to enter some gravel rides. Possibly DK one day. Also I think a gravel bike could work as a cyclocross bike if i ever got the urge. But since i have yet to really ride one I am trying to understand if I really need a gravel specific bike. I have looked at pretty much every option and almost jumped on niner RLT RDO because I found one on sale. The only problem i see with the RDO or other similar bikes is maybe they aren't road orientated enough. The 3T exploro is aero and I just saw a GCN episode on where they raced it on road and off road... It seems like it is exactly what i need but it is so much pricier than say the Niner RLT that i saw on sale. Then I realized that maybe a domane would fit the bill. It is marketed as a endurance/gravel road bike that has been raced in roubaix. I also saw the Viathon recently and liked its price point.. I am just all over the place on trying to make a decision and since i sold my main road rig i am anxious to get back out there. Whatever I get i really want to be 100% happy with because i don't want to end up selling it like i did the Scott Foil. I really liked that bike but it just wasn't for me i guess.

Anyways hopefully this opens up your minds to what my needs might be and you can help me make a decision!

Thanks again!