Old 12-06-19, 11:47 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by MiPeGr
I'll certainly be spending most of my time close to home...and by that I mean with cell phone service and a reasonable length/cost Uber ride back to my car or home.

But I also plan on being farther afield and doing longer rides as well, so I need to keep that in mind.
The above is wise and very relevant to your situation or worries.

Low-quality wheels have poor odds in lasting under the weight you carry. I have no idea how much it costs to rebuild or modify a wheel from 24 spokes to 36. I do know how much wheels, both alloy and carbon cost from low-end to high end.

I don't have anyone to come and get me if I break down so I have upgraded wheels both for improved performance and reliability and durability. At 230 pounds and given other priorities specific to me I ended up with 24 spoke carbon wheels after going through two sets of alloy wheels--on POS grade and one of definitely decent quality. For me after the rear wheel on those broke on my choice was to either upgrade to a 36 spoke on the alloy or go with the carbon. Again, that was what I deemed best for me.

Good luck getting a satisfactory solution to your question followed by safe and quality riding.