View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 10:14 AM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
As for a recommendation, the OP asked for a 'value' wheel, which indicates a limited budget. That, in turn, indicates a probable unwillingness to replace a rear wheel that is functioning well. A desire for value also probably means the OP won't be interested in buying a used or NOS CXP22 wheel or rim from ebay or having his LBS rebuild his wheel with new rim and spokes.

Before making a recommendation, though, I'd verify some things like budget, how much time the OP is willing to stay off his bike, whether he can build his own wheel.... I'd verify rear DO spacing. I'd probably mention Craigslist for local used wheels and Velomine.com for Mavic and Sun wheels - and I apologize to OP for not doing that in my first post. Craigslist may even offer a wheel with the right hub and a CXP22.

Velomine has some low cost Mavic wheelsets. They may be willing to sell a front wheel, especially one of their low-priced wheels with Sun rims. If budget is really tight and he can't build his own wheel, his LBS may be his best bet for lowest cash outlay.

Biking has always been a low-medium budget priority for me, and I've never had a lot of disposable income. My wheels match now, but I rode for 30 years with different rims on front and back. Obviously I enjoyed the ride.

I'll assume you don't think I should have retired from biking until my budget allowed me to discard a perfectly good rear rim or, worse, wheel.

Bikes are for riding.

Yes, I'd replace one wheel on my car if the specs were right, if I needed only one wheel. I don't have a dual sink bathroom, but I would want to keep the faucets the same, even if I had to replace only one, but if the budget were tight and I didn't contemplate selling the house in the near future, I might argue for mismatched faucets.

If I have to choose between function and appearance, I've almost always chosen function. I think that's almost always the better choice.
Likes For philbob57: