View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 11:59 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 744 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
Assuming this is true I don't think it's so bad. I was initially tepid about disc brakes, but now appreciate that they are better in wet conditions and greatly extend rim life. 26" also do seem largely obsolete. I'd also like to see fewer bikes with 700c wheels in favor of 650b/27.5" wheels since they're more versatile and in many respects combine the best attributes of 26" and 700c wheels.
While I agree that disc brakes are good, that is not the issue. They redesigned the Disc Trucker, so it is no longer the old style, classic touring bike fit and frame. Now we are left with a bike, that is very good, but not what the LHT was. I bought mine because I didn't want a sloping top tube, and wanted the classic touring bike frame and fit. I didn't want a ridiculous amount of seat post showing, and actually wanted the longer wheelbase, and longer chain stays. They have shortened the chain stays on the new Disc Trucker.

As I said, the new Disc Trucker is a great bike, Surly did a great job designing it. It just isn't what the LHT was, so discontinuing the older style is a big deal to some people. I am happy I already have mine.