View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 01:47 PM
AlanK

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by a_d_a_m
Might be a touring thing. I've heard that Kona is discontinuing the Sutra touring bike after '21.
I've heard that as well, but I asked my LBS, a Kona dealer, about it and he said Kona hasn't told him that, so as with all rumors don't assume it's true until it's confirmed.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I suspect a big part of it is the industry moving more towards through axles. There are millions of people out there that can't figure out how to use a quick release properly and have a problem with wheels coming loose or falling out. Through axle solves that, it is a way to dumb down the way to maintain a bike to reduce injuries. The new disc trucker has through axles, so dropping the older LHT forces people to migrate to through axles.
Thru-axles are much better. They're stiffer, more secure, and more durable. QR was originally designed for racers who need to change wheels frequently. That's obviously not an issue for touring, where reliability, durability and function are way more important.

Originally Posted by phughes
As I said, the new Disc Trucker is a great bike, Surly did a great job designing it. It just isn't what the LHT was, so discontinuing the older style is a big deal to some people. I am happy I already have mine.
I didn't see those details posted, sorry.