View Single Post
Old 04-04-17, 08:37 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAwesome
I have a question kind of off topic, but with relation to the Wabi. I bought the Classic almost two years ago and have had a lot of trouble with fit and comfort. I finally came to the conclusion that the bike is too small for me, but the next size up is only about an inch taller, but will also be an inch longer which would increase my reach. I'm not sure how much difference that will make. My lower body fits perfectly, but upper body (mainly my neck) has pain. I've had the bike fit at a shop; replaced the stem and handlebars twice and flipped the stem up to raise the bars, gotten new shoes and pedals... Nothing has really helped much. Some people have told me I have to just get used to it, but while I agree that can be part of it, I am pretty sure I will never get completely used to the upper body position. I'm tempted to get more relaxed bars, or just get a comfort bike. I really hate to loose the performance of this bike, but I want to enjoy riding and because of the discomfort I haven't ridden as much as I wanted to. I'm 6' with about a 33 1/2" to 34" inseam. The bike is the 55cm model.

I have a lot of experience with the actual riding, just not so much with geometry and fit and I can't figure out how to make my bike or this style of bike fit and feel better.

I actually love the whole idea of SS/FG and I love the bike. I bought it from Richard directly from him at his shop in L.A. I was disappointed when I found out he sold the company and that it has been relocated, but from what I hear the new owners maintain the same high level of customer service and if I can figure out what to do about this problem, will be happy to purchase another bike from them. I'm actually eyeing the Lightning, just want to figure out the size issue before I drop that cash.

According to their size chart you have the correct size. Do you have, or have you had another bike that fits you well? Also, what bars and stems have you tried on the Classic?