View Single Post
Old 12-26-20, 09:59 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
That looks like a head tube for a 1” steerer tube. Around the mid-90’s they went to 1-1/8”. And today just about everything is 1-1/2 tapered.

I usually hate using the term impossible, but finding a decent used suspension fork with a 1” steerer is about as close as you can get. Early Rockshox (Mag, Quadra) were made in 1”. Other mfg’s also, but many were not very good.

The only 1” I would consider, that you might run across, is a Marzocchi. There were a few years where Marzocchi made a fork crown with a removable steerer tube. This means you could swap out the steerer. Really tough to find a Marzocchi 1” steerer. Up to 10 years ago, RST made 1” steel steerer that would work, but equally as tough to find these days.

John

Edit added: If you do look for an older Marzocchi fork, stay away from the early XC (500/700) forks. Z series (2, 3) are fine.
Jonny,
it is 11/8..so many options.. saw new old stock zokes. on ebay. $120.

would work but not sure the investment as this is just my FU bike...if i decide i want steel mtb..i will get modern bike. cost benefits i am debating...i enjoy the bike but heavy...