Old 07-21-19, 04:30 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Sidewalk/sidepath riding... a different view.
Originally Posted by genec
...Folks, there is a strong case for sidepath/sidewalk riding. Sure, it doesn't work everywhere... like in a dense downtown environment where there are driveways and cross streets that occur every 100 feet. (God help the bike messenger...)

But it does work in some places... and it can be vastly more relaxing than the best situation of "bike lane" (oh paint will save you...) or "act and be treated like the driver of a vehicle..." (which rarely included being treated like an equal).
Originally Posted by Bandera
Sidewalks are for pedestrians, bicycles being vehicles belong in the roadway or on a MUP.
Originally Posted by ro-monster
I ride on sidewalks in certain places where the street is simply too hazardous. You do need to be mindful that you're in the pedestrians' space, and they always have right of way; and of course slow down to near walking speed.

It's illegal for adults to ride on the sidewalk in my city, but not enforced at all. I'm pretty conscientious about following laws generally, but when faced with the choice between putting my life at risk on poorly designed roads, or breaking the law in a manner that harms no one, I choose to break the law.
For me I don’t think of sidewalk riding so dramatically as an act of defiance, but utility and safety, with all deference to pedestrians. I have previously posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…Last week I visited the family in Macomb County. IMO, that is some of the nastiest road riding I have ever encountered. The main roads, to get anywhere, are six lane concrete slabs with bumps about every 20 feet, and many cracks and potholes especially on the right, with no shoulders, and heavy, zooming traffic with little patience for (slow) cyclists. Sidewalks alongside are frequently discontinuous, and often non-existent.

Even as an experienced urban commuter, I will often flee to the sidewalks, little used by pedestrians out in suburbia. Some major roads though, like Schoenherr and Gratiot do have continuous sidewalks for long distances.

I have developed a technique for riding under such circumstances I call ”bolus riding. (Bolus = “a small rounded mass of a substance, especially of chewed food at the moment of swallowing”; think of swallowed food as it passes down the esophagus.)

Since the flow of traffic is coordinated by traffic signals, traffic usually flows as a bolus. So using my rearview mirror, when I see a bolus of cars behind me, I go onto a driveway or intersecting street (all with sidewalk curb cuts) and on to the sidewalk.

After the bolus passes as seen in the mirror I go back onto the street where I can ride much faster, until the next bolus of cars arrives. I estimate that more than one-half of the distance can be ridden comfortably on these otherwise hazardous roads.

Now actually those suburban counties like Macomb and Oakland have developed some nice, long MUPS, but the prevailing attitude seems to be that bikes are not real transportation, so one usually drives to a MUP to ride the bike; and the MUPS are though rural countryside, with no defined, or non-recreational [utilitarian "useful"] destination...
Originally Posted by sherbornpeddler
Are you kidding me??

Where else [besides this Metro Boston bike thread] can we learn about Centre Street and the esophagus? You kids are my heros and inspiration for winter miles and musings! Taking the lane, FRAP and bolus! Ride on!