View Single Post
Old 04-25-12, 11:54 AM
twocicle
Clipless in Coeur d'Alene

Bikes: Tandems: Calfee Dragonfly S&S, Ventana ECDM mtb; Singles: Specialized Tarmac SL4 S-Works, Specialized Stumpjumper Pro, etal.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by p2templin
I'm planning to get one of these cases. Our tandem weighs 41 pounds in road condition (aka with rear pack), so I assumed something would have to ride in another case. We'd already planned to designate a carry-on as the bike stuff bag (tools to assemble, helmets, first day's clothes). I figure it'll inherit a ziploc with chains, some ziplocs with pedals, probably some ziplocs with left-side cranks (daVinci, so they both come off to pull the chains, and I don't want chain lube flying everywhere), computers, etc.
By "carry-on" assume that = flying. You might need to think about TSA looking at your carry-on and what they might deny as far as "dangerous items". Somehow a timing crank w/ring might look a tad wicked in the wrong hands and minds.

As far as a maximum weight target goes for flying some carriers in Europe, 70lbs is the weight threshold for any checked baggage and some carriers limit to only 50lbs!

Here is a great page with links to most all airline policies:
http://www.airline-luggage-regulatio...s&categoryid=1

Last edited by twocicle; 10-01-12 at 12:14 PM.