View Single Post
Old 11-29-18, 04:38 AM
Kevindale

Bikes: 1980 Koga-Miyata Gentsluxe-S, 1998 Eddy Merckx Corsa 01, 1983 Tommasini Racing, 2012 Gulf Western CAAD10, 1980 Univega Gran Premio

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by cdstheboss
Hello Everyone, I've been following this thread for a few years, but never posted! I want to add the 'serial' numbers of the Tommos I have, in the hope that it helps.

Super Prestige, marble Pearl white,(tubing decal gone, but I think SLX) Air fork, hidden top tube cable routing, BB markings 190 711 I've dated her as late 80s only.

Super Prestige, marble blue, (no tubing decal) Air fork, hidden top tube cable routing, BB markings 76 121 I've dated her as late 80s only.

​​​​​​Super Prestige, marble Pearl white, SLX tubing, Air fork, hidden top tube cable routing, BB markings 711 AF I've dated her as late 80s only.

Tommasini Pista, marble Pearl white, SPX tubing, straight crown fork, no BB markings other than Cinelli (presumably the shell) I've dated her as early 80s only.

Super Prestige, marble red, Oria 0.0 tubing, Air fork, hidden top tube cable routing, BB markings 85 US MR Barbara dated this one as 1985. I bought her in South Africa in the late 80s (87/88 I think), but unusual because of the US stamp!

Can anyone give me insight into the numbers???
Wow, you have a hell of a collection! Here's what I concluded so far - when there is a 2-number combo, usually it's consistent with year-month, so your marble blue ('76') could be July 1987. And, when there is both a 2-number combo and a 3 number combo, the 3-number combo seems to mean something else (and I cannot see a pattern for these 3-number combos). I think your marble red is actually made May 1988, which is consistent with the marble paint style not being introduced until 1987.

When there is only a 3-number combo, or two 3-number combos, usually it seems consistent with year-month-month, so the two of yours with '711' could be Nov. 1987 (with the first marble white having one of those mystery 3-number combos: '190').

When letters are present, they often appear consistent with the paint style or color (e.g., MR for marble rosa, B for blue). Your bike with 'AF' is another head scratcher, while your red marble bike fits nicely.

I have seen a couple of bikes that I think were sold in Europe but were stamped with 'US'. Not common, and they may have been bought in the US and moved with their owner overseas, though yours seems to go against that latter possibility. And of course there are mid-80s and late-80s Tommasinis sold in the US that didn't have the 'US' stamping, though many (most?) seem to.

Do you have photos of them anywhere? I'd love to know if they have pump pegs, how many sets of bottle bosses, what kind of rear brake bridge, lugs, seat stay caps, etc.