View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 09:45 AM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hardboiled718
I agree with this. I haven't ridden anything with a freewheel or gears in several years and I don't feel like I'm "underbiking," but one could argue that we don't know what we're missing out on by not having multiple gears. I intentionally chose ss/fg bikes for practicality and maintenance simplicity. I understand the benefit of gears and there are trade-offs between the two, but it comes down to personal preference in the end. I've meet some cyclists that don't seem to understand why anyone would ride a fixed gear bike and give the impression it's somewhat backwards or childish to do so. To each their own, I guess. One thing I appreciate about this forum though is there are people who ride all kind of bikes and share their experiences.
Yeah. I think I've only met other ss/fg enthusiasts.
Thing is, riding one gear has been a pretty well established part of mainstream culture now so it shouldn't come as a surprise to most.
It's actually weird to me that people even care lol.
It's just a bike that has one gear.
I mean, department stores sell fixed gears which will inevitably end up living in a garage so someone's kid has something to roll around the block on.
It really shouldn't be seen as "different" anymore.

I'll edit this later.
Likes For BicycleBicycle: