View Single Post
Old 08-04-19, 01:34 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Hello mate

Sweet photos of some nice trails the gearing looks kinda large what are u pushing!

Originally Posted by Mikefule
Not sure if this counts. We just called it "going for a bike ride" when I were a lad. Even when I bought my Giant Anyroad, I had never heard the term, "gravel bike".

The Anyroad is over-engineered, heavy and with poor aerodynamics. Also, the tyres caused a lot of drag. I couldn't keep up with my wife on her road bike. I was often pedalling hard down hill when she overtook me, freewheeling. So last week I took off the 32 mm semi-knobblies and put on some 25mm Continental Gatorskins. Much better.

Meanwhile, my Pearson fixed had 700c x 23 mm flimsy road tyres and, as I tend to go off road for part of almost every ride, I was getting lots of punctures. "Haha!" I thought, and put the redundant 32mm tyres on the fixed, just to see what would happen.

The wider tyres meant there was virtually no mud clearance, and the tread picked up lots of mud until the bike ground to a halt. I also had a puncture half way round the ride. It was a good ride though, taking in part of the Viking Way, then a section of quiet lane, before splashing through a ford that was deep enough to be over the top of my shoes, then following one of my favourite farm tracks and a short section of wooded footpath. I finished off with a swoop down one of our local hills, then riding along a grassy flood bank back to my village.

5/6 of the way up the hill, the bike ground to a halt, clogged with mud.

After splashing through the ford, it was a little cleaner.

A favourite farm track that I often include in my local loops.

This part of the ride was lovely, except I got a puncture about 10 seconds after this photo was taken.