Old 08-20-19, 03:14 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by wsteve464
If you want to do the install right you need the GRX FD as the chain line is 2.5mm outboard. A spacer of some kind may work but the FD arm needs adjust 2.5mm further from the seat post.
I was aware of the different chain line but I was hoping I could just set the FD outer limit on the big ring out far enough. 2.5 mm is quite a lot though. So far it doesn’t look like there is enough play to move it out far enough. I did notice the FD outer plate was pretty high above the big ring so I lowered it probably 2 mm. That really helped the shifting between the rings but there is still too much chain rub on the outer plate. The 30 ring is really quiet through all the gears. The 30/34 combination feels like a ridiculously easy gear.....

If I’m in the 30/11 and coasting the RD can’t take up enough of the chain and the chain relaxes on the chain stay. There’s really no reason to be in that combination so that’s not a big deal.