In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Just me, but...
I never found taking much food from home to be a good strategy unless packing for long trips away from restock points. Avoiding carrying food weight is pretty desirable IMO so buying as close to daily as possible is the way to go. So you really just need to pick and choose what is available from the stores when and where you are.

On another note I had some freeze dried meals that some European hikers left behind, that I grabbed out of the hiker box on a hike in the Sierras. While I generally hate freeze dried meals these were surprisingly good. They were a European brand that I had never heard of and they were delicious. I have never seen them available in the US. It may be that I was just super hungry, but usually my appetite is off a little and I am more fussy if anything when under the physical stress of a hard hike.
I'm with you.

And we ended up eating some sort of European brand of camping food at one place in Europe too because the campground was near a Decathlon Sporting Goods store, but other food places had closed for the day for some reason. We picked these things up and were pleasantly surprised ... or very hungry.