Old 01-13-20, 07:51 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes, 9- or 10-speed cassettes also fit on an 8-speed freehub (you noted this in your post where you said you bought wheels for 8, 9, or 10 speeds). These all use the same freehub body, so you can go up to 10 speeds without frame or wheel modification. 9-speed would require a 9-speed chain and a 9-speed shifter. 10-speed would require a 10-speed chain, a 10-speed shifter, a 10-speed derailleur if you're doing index shifting, and possibly different chain rings (if they don't play nicely with the narrow 10-speed chain). You shouldn't have any problems like that with 9-speed.
Sounds like the possibility of issues , along with a lot of new equipment to buy .
I’m sticking with a 7 speed cassette with a spacer . That’ll work with with everything I’ve already bought and replaced .
Would have preferred to have bought a 7 speed wheelset with Shimano hubs but I haven’t seen them . I found some 7 speed freewheel rear wheels , but not Shimano hubs .
Hope the ones I ordered work out without too much trouble . If I can duplicate the gearing I have on the Crisscross now , I'll be happy .