Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Aside #2: What's the big deal with using quill stems on race bikes to get the needed height? Most race bikes at the 63-64cm size and taller run 74° head tube angles. Compact-profile drop bars a la Highway-One have a 26.0mm clamp diameter. The majority of surviving or decent-looking (aka traditional) 26.0mm clamp stems are Specialized or Nitto or a very nice copy of either. There was likely a 73° Specialized stem at some point (and I may have one or two), but many (and all modern Nittos) are 72°. If I need to get bar/hood height up via quill stem and compact drop bar, this effort is negated on two fronts, primarily an aesthetic one. A 74° HT angle combines with a 72° stem to produce a very noticeable 2° downward angle. Not a problem if using traditional profile bars or Noodles, but a death knell for the aesthetics when using a compact bar. The last thing you want is a "mountain range" or "hill-valley-hill" look with your cockpit setup, if you care to avoid it. I am not going to have a--from a side view--downward-angled stem, a level-set handle bar, and an up-angled brake lever. A horizontal top tube bike is best complemented with a horizontal and/or slightly sloping cockpit (but only one "movement" or direction--up or down). This is why bikes around year 2000 looked so awful up front--traditional-angled frames with awkward-looking stems that jutted up out of the headsets, attached to "ergo" drop bars that pointed at the ground (almost like sunken shoulders), with STI levers that were cranked to the sky. A chaotic visual--no order, peace, or theme. Back to my frames: the Allez SE and Impulse have 74.0° HT angles and are thus solution-less at the moment. My Paramount (73.0°) and Expedition (73.3°) have HT angles that allow for a number of stems to be used with compact-profile bars, but it needs to be a 73° stem. I will still notice a 72° stems' downward angle on my Paramount. It's subtle, but with compact bars, it drives anyone's OCD sensitivities a little crazy.
I have a 74° HT angle and I'm running a modern front end. The only good looking way (IMO) to deal with this aesthetic challenge is to rotate the bars down to about -1 or 2°. Basically level the back end of the drop with the ground. Follow the stem line. To get the height back, slide the hoods up. This is a slippery slope. I like to have my levers about 1cm above level with the bottom of the drops. Slightly awkward, yes, but I ride the bars like they're Giro d' Italia or Maes bend bars: in the drops. If you plan on riding the hoods a lot, aim for tolerable. The last advice I can give is to ride the hoods with two or three fingers in front of the hump. Drop the back of your hand's valley onto the transition. The picture below illustrates this. Note how the other racers are staring in amazement. You too can be that cool!
Attached Images