View Single Post
Old 02-09-10, 11:11 AM
Cassave

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mudboy
As I finish the rear triangle of my first frame, I've been thinking about what to call it. I will absolutely build another, and could see myself being a low-volume builder if my skills continue to progress...so having something that identifies a frame as "mine" wouldn't be a bad thing.

I'm probably not going to use my last name; it's long, German, and not very easy to spell or pronounce. So, I've landed on names from one of my favorite authors, James Fennimore Cooper...frame number one (a sport tourer) will be the "Natty Bumppo". Too weird? Too corny?

How have you named your creations? Or have you avoided the name issue altogether?

Thanks

Pete
I've been riding my own frames for about 30 years and never put a name on any of them (until the latest).
One downside of an unidentifiable frame is that you'll get lot's of people asking "what kind of frame is that".
My standard answer has always been "homebuilt", which can launch into another 20 questions....not always the best thing at times.
So this last frame I made decals with the name of the street I live on and put them on the downtube.
Riding that bike, I can always just point to the decals and avoid the questions.