Old 06-22-19, 04:46 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,386 Times in 7,212 Posts
...FWIW, I think I invented this method when I had no access to a decent bench vise.

1. always drip some acetone mixed with ATF 50/50 into the freewheel/hub thread interface from the back. It only requires four or five drops.

2. leave the tyres on both wheels, and strap them together using old toe straps at around 7 and 11 on a clock face.

3. lock the freewheel remover in the freewheel using a QR skewer . Back it off about half a turn from tight.

4. with both wheels tied together, and upright on the pavement, put a wrench on the remover with a decent length lever arm, It can be an adjustable, but a box end of the right size works better.

5. strike the end of the wrench sharply with either a mallet or a deadblow hammer. You can use a regular hammer, but it might mar the wrench handle. Make certain you are striking it to turn the freewheel in the proper direction for removal. This has taken off some pretty stubborn freewheels over the years, and I've never had to escalate farther up the chain than this.

Honestly, I prefer the vise. When it works it's way faster.
Likes For 3alarmer: