elizilla 
Awkward Rider

Bikes: Small fleet of e-trikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Here I am back to ask for more advice.

I did order that claw, and it works, it fits my bike. I installed it and I used my new Park derailleur hanger alignment tool to get it perfectly straight. Which was very satisfying. I love having the right tool and using it the right way.

But now I have run into another problem. The rear shifter I ordered does not fit. I need to choose another.

I have a 9-speed cassette on my new hub motor rear wheel. The range is 11x34.
I bought this derailleur: Shimano Deore XT Shadow Mountain Bicycle Rear Derailleur - RD-M772
And this shifter: Shimano Deore SL-M590 9-Speed Shift Lever

The bike has the bars shown in the picture Squirtdad posted upthread, which are very ordinary hybrid bars, a little rise and a little swept back. It has an unusual brake lever on the right - it pulls two cables for the brakes on the two front wheels. Can't change that. And also on the right is a twist throttle with a button for reverse; I cannot change that either, not if I want to have reverse!

Well the Shimano Deore SL-M590 9-Speed shift lever fouls on the twist throttle and reverse button. And because of the bend in the bars, the shifter can't be mounted farther towards the center to pull it away from the throttle mount.

So I either need a different shifter, or I need to change to straight bars. I like these bars so I am looking for a different shifter.

Any suggestions?

Can a shifter for 10 or 11 speed rear, also work with my 9 speeds? I have been out of the loop for so long, I don't know how interchangeable these are. But if they do interchange, it at least means more choices.

Last edited by elizilla; 06-12-19 at 11:26 AM.