Old 10-05-20, 11:25 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
It's controversial for sure, but I do almost all of my riding early with just some coffee and have done fine. I eat a carb-centric diet so I'm always topped off, and I don't think anything up to 2hrs is going to leave me struggling (there are some tougher sweet spot workouts where I might have something halfway through). So, personally, it's fine to do them fasted.
I think most of the workouts that sufferfest is giving me are sub 90 mins. I think there are about 4-5 workouts a week. I think my base is a little bigger than the program is anticipating, so I'm going to try doing the workouts during the workweek and ride over the weekends doing recovery for it as and when I need it based on the graphzzz.

Do you track your yoga workouts? I was debating strava'ing them with a HRM just so effort etc is measured though I don't think it takes that into account in the CTL etc. I did 45 mins yesterday and my body is definitely feeling it.

Originally Posted by gsteinb
I never eat before lunch, unless I'm racing and then it's just a couple of bars.

Yoga after you ride. There are studies that indicate stretching diminishes performance. I've been doing yoga for quite some time.
Gotcha, will definitely do it after the rides in the AM or in the evening, unless I'm not riding in which case whenever.
I've been doing intermittent fasting in some way since 2016 when I started taking thyroid hormone. Have to wait an hour after taking the med till you can eat so it just made sense to try it. My body's used to waiting to eat till lunch on just a cup of coffee and water.

I'm guessing I'm going to feel crummy in the beginning and it'll get better as I adapt. Might have to start taking shakes afterwards and move the eating schedule around.

Originally Posted by cmh
ridethecliche - eating before a workout or not is individual. I generally feel better if I have something before a hard morning workout, but others do fine without it. Just try both and see what works for you.

I also do yoga after rides and in evenings, mostly on light riding days. It helps keep my back healthy.
Yeah, having dealt with back surgery and issues now, I've been trying to do 2-3x 30-45min sessions a week. I feel like it's really helping especially since I haven't been going to the gym anymore for obvious reasons.