Old 09-16-19, 08:12 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
I think there are huge differences in riding a bicycle in the Netherlands, compared to riding a bicycle anywhere in N America...

Speed, the people are riding at a leisurely speed...
Dedicated bicycle lanes, where bicycle traffic is not mixed with car traffic.
Distances, people ride to get to where they want to go are way less, thus allowing for leisurely speed bicycle traffic...

It all adds up to a TOTALT DIFFERENT, outcome in accident rates.. JMO...
I think I mentioned vehicle speed and infrastructure in that part you quoted - and that's really my point. With the right infrastructure - where you ride - there's no reason to not expect that same Six times lower fatality rate. Without helmets.

I disagree that you can't find it here, and I disagree that lowering speed limits is impossible here. My commute is probably easier and safer than the typical Netherlands commute. Less crowded, less traffic interaction on most of it. I could take a sidewalk for a mile or two if I wanted, and most bikers do on that section (but I almost never do that). Bike speed: most of the people I pass are likely going no faster than the typical Netherlands rider. I think we tend to make too much of the difference in environments.