Old 04-13-05, 01:24 PM
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum

Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by d^2
this question has many levels:
1) are people who buy expensive bikes suckers who were fooled by the marketing of expensive bikes? Perhaps, but most likely not. Riders who love high-end bikes are usually pretty well-informed about materials and geometries and I think most will seek out a variety of opinions before they make a decision.

2) do you buy expensive bikes because you think they will make you a better cyclist? A lighter bike with light weight wheels will allow you to ride faster up a hill. A lighter bike and wheels usually comes at a higher price. However, for many people, the biggest benefit to buying an expensive bike is that they will train longer and harder to "live up" to the bike, so I think in most cases the answer is "yes".

3) is an expensive bike actually any better than a 1000 dollar bike, or is it all *perceived* because we know how much the bike costs? I thought 1000 dollars was expensive? But seriously, expensive bikes are usually better - it's not always just perception based on price. However, the marginal improvements decrease as one begins to look at more and more expensive bikes. In other words, the difference between a $600 bike and a $1,000 bike are often a lot more than the difference between a $1,000 bike and a $2,000 bike.

4) are bikes art or jewelry, where you pay more for looks? Yes.

5) is functionality the only thing to consider when buying a bike? No. If you're spending a lot of money for a bike, you want to have a bike you can fall in love with. Functionality is only part of the equation.
Good questions.