View Single Post
Old 02-20-13, 05:55 AM
Markedgr

Bikes: Far too Many! (over 40 at last count) 8x Carlton, 3x Columbia, 15X Raleigh, 5x dawes, 5X Claude Butler, Rotrax, Swinnerton, 2x Tierney, 3x Falcon, Francesco Moser, etc..all 531 or 753

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Markedgr

[QUOTE=auchencrow;15238142]Yea to that^.

Lovely bike!

I have an early Galaxy which i am finding impossible to date other than generally 'mid 70's'. I've had a couple of very similar bikes before and looked at buying one new in the late 70's (ended up with a Carlton instead) and my recollection is that all were different in terms of decals, length of chroming on fork legs, etc. One particular variation i can recall is that some seemed to have the 'Galaxy' decal on the top tube whilst others did not and some seemed to have more fork rake than others...very strange! My bike has no top tube decal and fork rake more like a period 'racing' bike than a tourer....but is definitely completely original in both respects.....

My current bike is about 50% original...frame and forks, all paintwork, decals and chrome, bars, stem, seat and seat stem, brakes, headset... but the rest has been upgraded to higher quality parts from the early to mid 80's. It's a lovely bike to ride and much more lively than some newer Galaxies i have owned.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0197.jpg (66.2 KB, 348 views)