View Single Post
Old 03-20-19, 02:41 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
How Did I Get Here?

Perhaps I should have titled this thread, How Did I Get Back Here?

I'm back to my greatest weight I've ever been: 226 pounds. That may not seem devastating to some of you, but I am also just under 5 foot 6 inches. I'm about 75- 80 pounds overweight. Just before Thanksgiving, I was 198. So I put on 28 pounds in four months. That's a problem.

I just wrote a long winded, self centered, rant about how I stopped riding and kept overeating. In an attempt to not bore you, I'll summarize this perfect storm. It started with the flu, followed by the holidays, a series of professional and personal trips, increased stressful situations, increased work load when home and excuses not to ride. During the last four months, I haven't stopped overeating for any significant amount of time. My cycling is also down to 1/4 of what I averaged in 2018. As a result, some depression has also set in for what I've done to myself.

So my weight is back to its highest I've ever been-- 226. I'm in better shape than when I first started cycling in 2014, but I'm not motivated to overcome my destructive behavior the last few months. It feels like having to climb the same hill again. I have two organized cycling events the next two weekends for my local club and for the American Diabetes Association. I'd be happy to ride half of what my original plan was months ago when registering.

I've considered motivating myself by registering now for a challenging ride in September or October. That kind of goal has helped previously.