Old 05-05-19, 10:17 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 1,869 Times in 1,065 Posts

Hand built Steel frame - $900 (Rehoboth, Ma)

This is a 57cm handbuilt steel frame road racing bicycle. Frame builder is Custom A cycles from Providence RI. It is a lugged frame using Columbus Foco tubing (very light) and Richard Sachs lugs(see photos) The frame with wheels weighs just over 20 pounds. The components are a mix of Campy C-Record and Chorus. The geometry is classic road race: a beautiful balance between responsiveness and stability. The bike was occasionally raced for several years but never crashed. The frame was rust treated when it was first put together in 2004 and shows almost no rust now. The steerer tube is uncut to allow for max height adjustments. For those who are wondering about fit: I'm a little under 5'10" and weigh 155 with long arms and inseam . I'm stretched out with the 12.5 stem but it could go to 13 maybe a bit more without compromising the response. The recommended max weight probably shouldn't be more than 180-185 based on my conversations with the builder when we put it together. So the range could run 5'9 to 6' and up to 180 pounds. The bike is incredibly responsive and stable; I've changed jackets and vests more than a few times no hands as well as taken some sweeping downhills the same way. It almost steers itself. It is more of a climber's bike than a crit beast, and has that classic sweet steel feel. It has stayed in the attic for the past five years, so it really hasn't seen a great deal of wear and tear. I've tried to note some of the nicks in the photos. They have been touched up, but nothing has reached beyond the outer coat. Some additional specs:

Top tube: 57cm Seat tube:57 cm

Chainstay: 42cm Headset: Chorus

Crankset/BB: C-Record 53/39 172.5

Front derailleur: C-Record Rear Derailleur: Chorus 12-23

12.5 cm ITM stem

Wheelset: Cane Creek The rear has titanium spokes

The rest is a mix of aftermarket parts.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers