Old 07-29-19, 05:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Safety gear for your commute
Originally Posted by gregf83
I wear my cycling kit with bright colours and assume no one can see me. I don’t skimp and have bright, expensive lights for the winter.
I posted earlier about my Safety Aphorisms as my "Safety Gear":
Originally Posted by caloso
I wear a helmet and use a blinkie. But the most important safety precaution is to anticipate.
Originally Posted by Steely Dan
…i try to make myself visible with color: bright red bike, stark white helmet, and a bright colorful shirt.

in the darkness of winter i wear a hi-viz jacket with lots of reflective striping + reflective striping on my helmet. and of course front and rear lights.

and of course the most important safety measure: caution

that's about it.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
...This my approach to inculcate anticipation in my cycling:
I try to keep safe with certain aphorisms in my head that come to mind to alert me when I encounter a situation where unseen dangers may lurk, such as:

Like a weapon, assume every stopped car is loaded, with an occupant ready to exit from either side.” or“Don’t ride over an area (such as puddles or leaves) when you can’t see the road surface"..

Over the past few months I have come to realize that my safety aphorisms (link), collected over the years by personal or vicarious experience, are my way of actively aligning the stars in my favor, to anticipate those unseen and otherwise unanticipated dangers.

FWIW, for my own information at least, my other aphorisms beside those above [see the link: Total of nine (9)]
My Number One Aphorism is:
  1. Make yourself as visible as possible,and assume nobody sees you....

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 07-29-19 at 05:19 AM.