View Single Post
Old 02-16-23, 07:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2624 Post(s)
Liked 1,966 Times in 1,231 Posts
I started commuting 5 miles each way, 2-3 times a week that quickly increased to 4-5 times a week. After five years, my office moved and I continued riding 10 miles each way, still 4-5X/week -- that wasn't a problem by the time I started the longer ride. The ride home was sometimes 25 miles longer on nice spring/summer/fall afternoons! That was BC (before Covid); now I'm mostly WFH, but there's an impetus to get us back to the office.

Most of my routes are suburban roads and streets, though there are a few exceptions. One route through "downtown" I'm on a main street for 3/4 mile, followed by ~2 miles of minor arterial. TBH those streets are overbuilt for the direction and time I'm riding them, so there's no problem for most drivers to pass me. (There are exceptions, of course, but I can't do anything about other people's mental state!) The other route has a 4 mile stretch of divided highway, mostly through a swamp, with a nice, wide shoulder. No issues riding there, except sometimes traffic's backed up and I pass some folks I work with on the shoulder. Not my problem!

There's usually a decent biking route available if you can handle a small (1-2 mile) additional length. There've been a number of threads discussing how to stretch and improve a commuting route in the Commuting forum.