Old 10-09-19, 09:36 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I'd argue it is cheating, but, if everyone else is doing it and getting away with it, doing it is a calculated risk. It's kind of like the highway on my commute home. The posted limit is 55, but even the slowest lane has an average of more like 70. I go with the flow of traffic because I know that's safer and I only see someone pulled over for speed enforcement 3-4 times a year, but, if I get pulled over, I'll know I was breaking the law.
In CA we have the basic speed law and you can legally go 40 in a posted 35 - if a road survey shows 80% of the others were doing it (up to the absolute speed limits). You may have to argue it, but it is allowed.

The concept of everyone doing it is common in sports. It gets stopped only when the officials want to stop it. This stuff is hugely significant IMO. Thousands of spectators line the Paris-Roubaix route with spares to give to pros who are in trouble. Pros take those spares when needed. Maybe the race says to ignore that UCI rule, but I think it is just ignored. Same with feeds, nature breaks etc. Rules are broken, but I don't call them cheaters. They are doing what the event and everyone expects. At some subjective point based on the subjective opinions of the officials it becomes too much. And someone is penalized. I still wouldn't call them cheating.