Old 07-19-17, 07:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Flyright
Hi all, newbie here. I have mostly been lurking, rather than posting to try and glean as much knowledge as possible.

With that being said, I recently got certified to ride my local track (BVV in Erie, CO). I had a blast, but, after the session -which was about 4hrs long- I was left super tense, and sore, especially in my neck from looking down the line. I setup my bike fairly aggressive (as pointed out by the instructor) which I tried to do, in comparing with some of the pros. I can't seem to post a pic because im so new. However, I am left wondering if it might be the aggressiveness of the setup, the size of the frame (i'm 5'8" riding a 50cm frame) the length of the cert session, or a combination of a few that left me so sore/ tens? I filmed myself riding on the trainer, and used the Kinovea app to analyze it; my leg angles were good, as was height over pedals etc... so any help would be greatly appreciated!

If this should be a new topic please let me know and I will repost. I figured as this was the DIY fitting topic -which is what I am doing since I can't afford the bike fit by the local track olympian- I would post here.
Hi, and welcome to the forum and to the sport!

It's not gonna be comfortable at the beginning...especially if you are new to riding in general. It's hard to say if you are just sore from a long session in a new position or if the position is awful. My guess is that it's the former. Meaning that you'll get used to it. I haven't been on the track in 2 years and I'm dealing with odd sorenesses (neck, traps, shoulders, fingers), mostly from standing starts but some from riding.

The body likes homeostasis and complains when you change things.

Try to determine and distinguish between pain from injury and pain from adaptation.

Pics would help a lot. Maybe you can save them to an external host (imgur, wordpress, etc...) and then add an inline link (but that may not be allowed by new users, either. Not sure).

Stretching helps a lot. "Cold" stretching is bad. This is when your muscles aren't warmed up. It's best to stretch after exercise when you are warmed up or after a some active warmup.