Old 11-05-18, 03:42 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
...There are no performance gains when a rider goes from a frame that is stiff enough for them to one that is stiffer. The only rider that gains is the one who goes from a frame that they personally flex to one that they cannot flex.

Super D, I'm sure you'd have an opinion on this:

Compare a CAT1/2 rider on a properly fitting and tuned aluminum Performance Bike bike with a 105 group with a CAT3 rider on a custom Madone with "the works" package. Who would perform better?

I mean, we've seen Jens do it in the TDF
Good perspective. Not all bikes, regardless of materials, are created equal (my Cannondale Evo Hi-Mod road bike is far superior in several ride quality and performance areas compared to my previous/older Scott Addict, for example).

In terms of the topic of getting more than you need (or more pointedly, getting more than you can exploit), I used to do a little auto racing and ski racing in younger years, and the same thought process applied in those environments. What good is getting something which offers better performance, if you don't have the ability or capacity to make use of it? How many skiers do we see on racing skis who can't buy a turn, or drivers on track piloting killer sports or racecars getting passed by someone in a much lesser car who has actual driving skills?

For me personally, the road bike I ride (carbon framed) is:
  • More comfortable, handles better and is more predictable over variable road surfaces than aluminum was.
  • Faster climbing, accelerating and is more responsive (lighter and stiffer while absorbing small vibrations, amazing combo).
  • Quicker, lighter shifting (How the heck did Shimano make DA 9000 mechanical shift so telepathically over 7900? I was shocked..)
The reality is that I will never be able to impart the pedaling force a top sprinter can, nor will I need the best equipment, because I will never approach the output levels a top track racer can, and, I will never have the resources to get the most advanced frame. So, the hunt is for what is "good enough" for a guy like me, and what "good enough" actually is. If one can figure out his or her balance of needs, it'd be best for zeroing-in on what frame is a potentially good match. I think that's a worthy outcome to pursue in this type of conversation.