View Single Post
Old 02-04-20, 05:39 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Narrow Rear carrier options

I've been racking my brain (get it?) about a rack that can fit a bike I am considering using for a commute. It's 5.5 miles one way with a few overpasses, so moderately easy. The outside faces of the dropout and eyelets are 130mm (is a 120mm old 5 speed frame). Upper mount would have to be seatpost clamp or brake bridge, there are no eyelets on the seatstays. I'm going to use a centerpull brake, which could complicate the mounting. Many, many racks are simply too wide and would require some bending to fit, or the use of spacers between the frame and the rack. I'm particularly fond of the Tubus Fly evo rack in silver, but the installation instructions specify 140-170mm lower attachment spacing, and not to exceed those values.

Tubus fly Evo in silver

I like the minimalist design and clean lines. I'd prefer to leave the rack on the bike full time, and I already own a pair of Ortlieb panniers that should clip on to any Tubus rack. I also like this unknown rack posted by randyjawa a couple of years ago, though I'm concerned about capacity (estimated about 20lbs of clothes, food, and tools & Lock max).
Originally Posted by randyjawa
There's a rack like this locally, but I'd have to buy the whole bike to get it. That means I could have it essentially for free, if I sell the bike on, but I don't want to go to the trouble if the rack can't support the expected weight.
I've also seen the modified Wald 215 rack posted in the forums, which I liked because of how narrow it ended up, though I'd prefer to avoid chopping up a rack.
Originally Posted by steppinthefunk
Pletscher is not favored by some on the forum, and I'm not sure I like the aesthetics of a Blackburn rack. What options are out there for silver racks under $70? Has anyone exceeded the specified spacing for Tubus racks?

Last edited by Unca_Sam; 02-06-20 at 07:57 PM.
Likes For Unca_Sam: