View Single Post
Old 03-09-20, 04:39 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
I don't think I would want to ride a rim that has been subjected to caliper brakes for 18,000 to 22,500 miles. He's not wrong. Both wheels are probably due for replacement. Great time to upgrade.

Unless you are trying to restore a bike to original, there's no reason to stick with the same brand and model of tires that came stock with the bike. If you are riding 2000 to 2500 miles a year, you deserve some nice tires instead of the tires that the manufacturer had a good deal on.

For me, chains start getting old in the 1000 to 1500 mile range. Cassettes in the 4000-5000 mile range. And I've never changed chainrings, though I'd love to get a higher-end chainset on both of my bikes, and probably ought to use mileage as a motivation to do so.
I am not trying to restore the bike to original. I have upgraded the tires to a brand and model that was recommended to me by the lbs and I love them.
I have also changed the chain and cassette at least twice over the last 9 years. I try and do the maintainence to keep the bike running nice.