View Single Post
Old 05-20-20, 11:49 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
It has been three years since my previous post and I have been doing some thinking on the back burner.

My previous trail-a bike method of transporting a bicycle by:
1. removing the front wheel
2. put an axle into the fork dropouts
3. Secure the axle to a rear rack.

With this method there are two problems:

Finding some way to secure the axle (which is in the fork of the bicycle that is being transported) to the rear rack.
I have found that the axle does not stay as secure as it needs to be.

The angle of the trailing bike to the ground and the center of gravity is to much and the trailing bike wants to go its own way and fall over.

Hmmmm? What to do?

Remove the fork from the bicycle. This means also removing the stem with handlebars. The frame head tube is now empty.

If you have another stem and handlebar, turn then upside-down put the stem into the underside of the head tube. Now mount stem and handlebar securely to the rear rack of the transporting bike. The transportee bicycle is now connected for transportation.

Secure the bicycle's stem and bar with cables still attached to the frame of the transportee bicycle. Transport the fork and front wheel as is appropriate.

Put a bunge cord around the seat post of the transporting bicycle and connect it to the head tube of the transportee bicycle. The seat post then takes some of the stress of pulling the bicycle.

Here are some pictures. In this case I have a basket on the rear rack and the handle bars and stem are secured to the basket.

In this case I used the handlebar and stem of the transportee bicycle to insert into the under side of the head tube. The brake and shifter cables all had to be loosened.

The bicycle was going to be overhauled anyway so loosening all the cables was not a concern for me.

Transported the bicycle at least 5 miles with some small hills. No problems. Much more stable than my previous method.

This is my cheap and minimalist (in terms of equipment) method. Note that this bicycle had a threaded headset.

What do you need for this method.

One bicycle with a rear rack.
Stem and handlebars to secure to the rack and put into the underside of the head tube.
wrench to loosen the stem for removal.
Wrenchs to remove headset nuts for fork removal.
Several bungy cords.

Downside of this method is time and tools for disassembly and reassemble of the transportee bicycle.