View Single Post
Old 07-13-19, 04:37 PM
jskita

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 9 Posts
Feeling my age

I am currently 52 and ride less than 10 miles per day when I ride as a commuter and stay with 20 miles for recreational rides. I have never had any issues at all. Over the July 4th holiday I did 40 miles and I felt it.

My palms numbed and my butt was sore. I even cramped up during some minor uphills on my return ride. All this was about the 35 mile mark. I did take a nice rest in the middle.

I consider myself to be in good health, but I don't stretch or do any preparation prior to a ride. I didn't think 40 miles should have been a big deal and required anything special.

I set my bike up for an upright position. This particular bike is what I ride on weekends and is my grocery-getter. The bikes I ride on the weekday differ but the rides are too short to matter.

This bike has a B72 saddle that is wider for an upright position and I use a Soma Sparrow townie type bar on it.

I'm 5'7", 137 lbs
I averaged about 11mph
I don't wear padded shorts
The weather was almost perfect.

Is my set up wrong? Do I need to hydrate more? Do I need to work out or something?

I would think I should be able to go twice that distance with no problem, so what do you think?

TIA,