Old 05-18-20, 11:58 PM
Guerc 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 36 Posts
LOOK KG171... a tale of classic carbon fiber

Let me start this tale with a confession, blasphemous though it may sound in C&V: I have been hankering for a modern bike, something designed and built this century, aero with all carbon frame and bits, and unfathomably light weight. There, I said it, not knowing that this desire would lead to nothing good.

My most "modern" bike has been a ~1996 or so LOOK KG171 carbon bike, alongside a collection of 70's and 80's steel frames. It is an objectively great bike, with pro racing pedigree. Some backstory on the LOOK KG171 series in the pro peleton is here., The LOOK is lighter than any of my steel frames, rides admirably, though it never quite excited me. It is a touch big (56cm, vs my usual 53-55), and I've had to make some compromises to get it to fit. It has an uncomfortably high toptube, short seatpost and short stem. I do like the traditional look of the bike though, with round tubes and horizontal top tube. The bike is kitted out with carbon Campy 10s from about 2000 or so. I'm not sure if it's yet considered classic, but it has been starting to feel dated.

My LOOK as she sat a week ago:

Last edited by Guerc; 05-24-20 at 10:17 PM.
Likes For Guerc: