Old 06-17-19, 02:45 PM
peterws

Bikes: Carrera Virtuoso and friend

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I swing from 58cm - 62 frames, with tt from 57-59, stems from 125mm-140mm. Best fit allows me to feel top tube between my knees on fast descents. Which means I greatly prefer a level or nearly level top tube framed bike.

I think @79pmooney is somewhat unique in riding negative angle stems (below parallel re ground). And congrats to him for finding multiple ‘fits’ on varying bikes - arm angle, tt lengths, stem drop, etc.

i still maintain a closer fitting frame would handle and ride more nicely (as designed) for the OP, than such an extreme contrivance. Constructive observation intended. I too applaud the OP for getting out to cycle. Best riding experience results in folks who stick with the sport and draws others in. Extreme contrivances deliver a sub-optimal riding experience. YMMV
Hmmm . . . .I've rode with much lower bars which are great for steep uphill work, 1 in 6 and worse. But terrible for coming back down those hills. You can imagine!
Now, looking out the top o' my beadies is a problem which age has dumped on me. My eyes although with lens replacements are good, they don't talk to each other, and thus, for me, a general high riding position is essential to actually see where I'm going!
But the lower bar ends are great for climbing when I can just focus, for the most part, upon the ground.
I can see no-one's convinced my solution will catch on. And why should it? We all have our own men-moments when one feels the need to . . . modify. At least I left the angle grinder in it's box . . .