View Single Post
Old 06-20-20, 02:09 PM
Geekage

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
But, for new devices, I would hope a faulty battery isn't the issue, especially since they are supposed to be a pain to replace.
Hi. I thought I'd chime in here.

My battery just went out a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, support wasn't any help. They had me do a master reset then weren't heard from after that.

I took it apart since it's no longer under warranty. There is no voltage across the battery terminals at all.

Yeah, replacing the cell wasn't easy, but it wasn't impossible either. Luckily I had a spare 18650 cell around.

Basic steps (because typing on my phone on this site sucks)
0. Disassemble Fly6. Since the serial number sticker is half on the rubber gasket, you can get the two plastic halves apart without tearing that sticker since it doesn't stick that well to the rubber.
1. Unplug battery, remove heat shrink, and desolder protection PCB at contacts on board, not the spot welds on the battery.
2. Do same for donor battery.
3. Resolder Fly6 CE protection circuit into donor battery.
4. Wrap with electrical tape or heat shrink. Cannibalize foam tape from original battery and put it on donor.
5. Reinstall & reassemble. Or test first, noting that the protection circuit may be tripped, so you may need to charge through Fly6 before it starts working.
​​​
Bonus: this battery is supposed to be higher capacity, so maybe it'll last for my six hour rides.
Likes For Geekage: