View Single Post
Old 12-14-20, 10:00 AM
Nixhex

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
At 20 plus pounds that will be a heavy bike if you regularly go up hills. Even short hills. What's your Allez weigh? Other than two more speeds once you get over the excitement of more shifts, there really isn't anything better about it.

If you are in rolling to hilly terrain and you ride often, you'll appreciate a more normal for todays bike weight of 17 to 18 lbs when riding hills.
I think the Allez is 20.2# the way I have it setup rn. The spots that I ride are not super hilly, though there are some short punchy climbs, but nothing longer than about 1-2 min.

One of the things I've been wondering about is frame stiffness. I don't think the steel Allez is especially stiff, and I have a crappy aluminum felt frame that I ride as an F-around bike, and I definitely feel like I get more speed for my effort with the Felt. Although not a night and day difference, it definitely feels more efficient. Which has got me wondering if a stiff ass aluminum frame, although maybe not lighter than my Allez, may give me more performance for my efforts. But then again that may be rubbish.