View Single Post
Old 01-11-21, 10:45 AM
longpete

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
27,5 fork for fullsuspension E-tandem

I'm looking for a new fork on my new fullsuspension E-tandem. System weight 100+53+32= 185 kg (two batteries and 2200gr fork).
Calipers 18 at home , 20.3 or 22 in the mountains.

For the moment I use a 27.5+/29 boost Suntour 35 Aion 12cm. This fork builds a bit too high (54,2 cm).

Bracket higth is with sag around 32cm. My feet can't touch te ground. My inseam 97.5 cm.

Fork is stiff enough but with maximum allowed pressure of 120 PSI the sag is 5cm instead of about 3,6 cm.

I use ofroad 27.5 wheels and 2.6 tubeless tyres, onroad 29 wheels and 1.4 tyres.

Ideal is a minimum of 35 stanchions, better 36 or 38. Travel 12 or less(rear has 10cm), the fork builds then between 52 and 53cm high.

Easily adjustable travel is a +, so that the travel can be changed in the future at a reasonable price.

What came to my mind :

Pike : a little to lightweight I fear. 12 cm easy to find, Charger 2 damper ok. Model 2020 negative chamber a bit too bigt. 2021 better?

Yari: hard to find in 12cm, damper upgrade necessary taking into account the extra weight of tandem and riders.

Lyrikl en Zeb : travel starts at 15 cm, too much : fork builds to high.

Marzocchi bomber z1: 27.5 starts at 15 cm of travel but i wonder if it would be possible to mount the internals of a fox 34 which are available in 12cm.

This would be an ideal compromise I think.

Fox 36 ebike(internals fox 34) except rhythm : too expensive.

FOX 38 : way over my budget en not yet found in 12cm.

Formula selva 35 : travel 120 possible but complicated fork.

Open for other alterantives at a reasonable price point.

I'm looking for advice of tandem or real heavy (over 125kg) riders really riding one of these forks. So i can find out If

I exceed maximum allowed air pressure to get the ideal sag of 3 to 3.5cm with a travel o 120 (Pike 163, Yari a bit less, fox and Marzo : no idea)

An alternative could also be a fork with more travel and more sag than the usual 25 to 30%. I noticed this helped riding over rocks and other things higher than 15 cm.

One other question : front 2.6 tyre with 1.3 bar and tandem : precise steering gets difficult. Santana advises longer fork rake for stabilsation, while a a 37mm rake make the weelbase shorter and the turning easier.
On this E-tandem with long chainstays I don't feel the need for more stabilisation but I'd like tohave to werk less in tight turnings.

A dropper post could be an alternative to be able to touch the ground, but i fear the presuure of the stoker stem on the front seatpostmight make it difficult for the dropper to drop.

Last edited by longpete; 01-11-21 at 12:17 PM. Reason: writing mistake