Old 08-25-19, 08:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11007 Post(s)
Liked 7,534 Times in 4,214 Posts
Originally Posted by jeremybart
Which road wheelset did people buy as second set for gravel bikes?
When I look for road wheels they aren't 100 and 142mm sizes and cx wheels seem heavier or for off road.

Thanks!
Budget? What spoke count do you want? Aluminum or carbon rim?

There are so many choices out there.

A road wheelset that's 100/142 can be built by prowheelbuilder for anywhere from $375 to $2k(guessing on the high end...I haven't bothered to price out what i would never buy).

My gravel wheelset is the same as what's on one of my road bikes, the only difference is rim brake vs disc hubs.
Go to that site and poke around. You can choose preselected builds where options are limited, or select whatever parts you want from the menu.
Sapim double butted spokes are lighter and 'stronger' than plain gauge spokes. Brass nipples are cheaper and heavier than aluminum, but wont seize a few years down the line.
Bitex hubs are elatively inexpensive, relatively light, and relatively quick to engage. I love em and choose to use them over.kore expensive options, but some on here view them as bottom of the barrel. Hope hubs are a well regarded brand.
For rims- there are lots. I have multiple bikes with h plus son rims. Boys altamonte lite is another rim that the builder recommends.