View Single Post
Old 08-08-16, 10:50 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by Bikedued
Man, mine has not been that color for years now. If I can ever bring myself to blast the gorgeous orange pearl powder off, I may try to go stock again. I have the needed 600 group back on it now, though not the anodized chainrings, and I'd only need decals, and some white Benotto wrap to make it complete.,,,,BD
Orange pearl sounds awfully pretty. I'd keep it if you have it already decal'd up since you like it that much. The ivory pearl on mine is quite nice. Schwinn knew their paint--both color and durability in my experience with a handful. Oddly, I've had a hard time liking most vintage Trek road bike colors. There are a few, but when you're hunting in the 25.5" size, it's a bit limited. There's that size 1984 460 at a LBS for a great price...in that I'm-not-so-sure red-orange. That plus no room = no taste of the ultra tidy vintage Trek race geometry for me. Guess I'll just have to ride my dynamite SS...

FYI, the decals on my SS have suffered a bit in addition to the 32 years of paint chips. The Suntour stuff isn't perfect either--it just works really well. So it all matches. I have a Superbe Pro RD coming via mail soon. Broken anchor bolt/top sprung pivot piece, which I will replace. Done that on a few Campy RDs already so for the price of the SP, I thought, no problem.