View Single Post
Old 08-29-16, 01:37 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Super Sport Update, because of course

1) After trying out the Dia Compe 287 brake lever hoods and determining that although they are really pretty and comfy, they do not fit the Superbe Pro levers well.

Try #2 was Shimano SLR hoods and, well, see for yourselves how well they fit! Not perfect, sure, but very close. I put a piece of black electrical tape above the front of the lever to blend in more with the hoods as the hoods didn't cover everything in front. This is a very cost-effective solution if you are looking for hoods for these later '80s levers.

In the continuing shift saga, I am pretty much tired of worn out shift lever bushings not holding position under load, in spite of how pretty they are. And wanting to keep the same color scheme, and also naturally running combos in my head, my Dura Ace 10-speed DT shift group will be migrating to this bike, leaving my lovely Ross to be without her Shimano jewelry. It is sad, but she will be adorned with Campy yet again, this time with Chorus/Record 10-speed and silver fenders--promoted to rain/"winter" duty. Thus she will be my crummy weather flagship--light, fast, a companion during those darker months.

The SS will be a "greatest hits" bike--great frame geometry, great feeling brakes, cool old school drop bar look, best and most capable DT shifters, all tied together with a consistent color theme.

2) Helped find a friend a winter training bike with this nice frame for a pittance from the local non-profit. SWEET. I was at the place, shot him some pics, explained and measured, and picked it up for him. He'll pay me for that, plus a full (used) 6400 groupset as well so he can shred for miles in the cold and rain, for not much money. The brake levers and DT shifters are the prettiest of all the pieces, but they will be used which is what they are for--and he takes care of his bikes--all in good hands.

3) Not pictured but I put most of an '89 C'dale SR700 with full Suntour GPX together. Really lovely white with dark blue components (a la 6400 Shimano). GPX DT shifters are 7-speed with....7 clicks? I am rigging up a 5.0mm-spaced 8-speed cassette to test out what seems obvious to me. X speeds = X-1 indexed "clicks". It is already confirmed that each click is the result of movement in the RD. Good news for Campagnolo people????