Old 05-05-19, 02:06 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If anyone is at all serious about chain waxing, I recommend you just go all-in. It's really not that expensive.

Pick out your chain of choice and buy 2.
Get yourself an Elite Gourmet 1.5qt slow cookerabout $16 on Amazon.
Add to your cart a 3lb bag of paraffin wax beads, about $13. It's not the cheapest per pound, but for a one person doing 1-2 bikes, it's 5+ years of wax. That bag is the exact one I bought when I started hot waxing, and only depleted it after maintaining 4 bikes for over 2 years.

Fill the crock pot about halfway with wax beads and fire it up. I run mine on "keep warm," which is plenty hot enough.
Clean the chains thoroughly, my choice is white gas (because the state of California won't let us have mineral spirits) in a suitable container (32ox Gatorade bottle) for 10 minutes or so, then let the chain dry a bit.
Plop a chain in the pot, leave it in for 15-20 minutes, until the chain gets up to the temperature of the wax. It's not scientific. Put the chain in before lunch. Don't worry about it.
Remove the chain, let it sit for a few minutes, put it on the bike.
Now take the second chain, put it in the crock pot, and turn the crock pot off.
When the chain on the bike starts to get squeaky or otherwise noisy, turn on the crockpot, and after it's hot, swap the chains. Repeat for as long as a chain lasts you. I'm big and don't get a ton of miles out of a chain, but still get ~6,000 out of a pair.

Optional: I mix in about 1oz of Slick 50 Recharged each time the wax level in the pot gets low enough to no longer cover the chain, the same time I add more wax. It seems to make the wax adhere to the chain a little better than just the straight paraffin, and my rate of consumption is about 1/4oz a month, so a bottle will last... 5 years or so? Including the cost of equipment, hot waxing the chains for 4 bikes costs me about $1 a month.