View Single Post
Old 09-05-19, 03:13 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Got a follow up question: eyeballing the RSX crank against the present Exage road crankset, it looks like I will need to rmove the small ring mounting posts to clear the chainstay. Any reason not to take them off? Also I was comparing the RSX crank to an Exage R500? mountain crank and it looks like they have about the same Q factor. Besides weight, is there any functional difference between road and mountain cranks with the same Q factor and crank leangth?
Sounds like a lot of extra work, and what will you do if you're not pleased with the appearance after grinding off the granny bosses? Just buy a 110BCD double, they're not hard to come by.

There is no guarantee at all that mounting the RSX's crank on the Exage's bottom bracket will result in the correct chainline, or satisfactory Q factor, either. BB's aren't expensive or hard to remove/install.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498