View Single Post
Old 05-19-20, 07:14 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 186 Posts
Welcome to one of my biggest beefs with the cycling industry... second only to helmets that don't fit my long-oval noggin'.

Anyway, I have been in pursuit of the perfect wide cycling shoe for years and so far have mostly found which shoes aren't wide. I think the only cycling shoe company I've ever seen that actually makes some shoes remotely shaped like a human foot is Bont. After that would definitely be Lake... they do cater to cyclists who don't have pencil-shaped feet.

I currently have the Lake MX237's as my SPD shoes. My foot width is a "D" and I my shoes are actually not the wide-width and fit pretty well. The quality is great, but because the shoes are real leather they get really hot (my feet are usually all wet when I'm done riding even when it's not hot out) and the shoes are pretty darn heavy.

I've also ready that Shimano shoes are often wide but their prices are so high that I haven't been able to try them yet.

Be warned that some manufacturers offer "high volume" shoes, like Giro, but that often means the entire shoe is bigger/wider. For people like me that have a wide fore-foot and a narrow heal, high-volume shoes don't work as my heal and mid-foot end-up with too much room in the shoe.

I'm a big Trek/Bontrager fan and their shoes have a great return policy, but I tried several different models of their shoes and they were all way too narrow.