cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
I did what I said I wouldn't do. Again.

These are inverted, flat black Soma Sparrow handlebars with the logos cleaned off. Paid more than I should have for them, but they came with Cane Creek reverse brake levers that I plan to use on some porteur bars, and some disc calipers which I'll make use of on another project.

I love how the Dutch-market headlamp bracket re-positioned the headlamp high and proud up front. It breaks up the Technomic-level of quill length which would look unsightly otherwise.

I'm thrilled with the way the Sturmey-Archer BLS92 brake levers look. They're the right tint of silver and their sweeping curves have the elegance necessary to harmonize with a classic English roadster. JaccoW, once again, a million thanks for facilitating these "non-US market" Sturmey levers.

Now, I'm sure by now, someone has spotted the omission of something quite important. Yep, the SRAM 9-speed shifter didn't fit. Again.

I think I've found a solution in forcing a SRAM X-5 onto the handlebar, which is the most compact SRAM shifter I can shove in there. Reports say the cable pull is the same between the G9 IGH and the 1:1 derailers. And if it isn't, I'll just have to try to transplant the detents from the G9 shifter into the X-5 - unless that also doesn't fit.

I also solved the loose wiring for the lighting by putting some heatshrink over the clamped sections. Problem solved. I'd even go so far to say that it looks like a kludge that Tube Industries might have done back in the day. Good enough.

One concession to originality has got to go - every last RAMPAR "R" logo - including the one on the seattube - is going to go. I hate this logo with a passion. Repop Heron badges will take their place.

Here's one of the other problem points. After going through all the effort of jettisoning the Love at First Bite Reflector from the back end, I now have this wart to contend with.

I have no problem removing it, but I'm not sure a rack with two empty holes on the back would be ideal either. The Gazelle (which I ultimately sold, with different wheels and the original chaincase) had an AA-battery powered taillight that bolted into this same pattern.

Jacco - if you're reading this, do you know of any Dutch-market bolt-ins for this design?

One of the other issues I have to work with are the rack mounts. It's an interesting split design that allows the rack to be leveled, but they may be just a tad short to meet the Raleigh eyelets (and one strut is bent, easy enough fix).

Even if I can get it to fit at the original eyelets, the Raleigh studs (yes, this one has studs and a nut rather than a bolt and a nut) aren't long enough for the sandwich-style rack hardware.

It's fitting though, I'll admit that.

I'm thinking the bars do look a bit off with the black split by the silver levers though. Might need to dig up some grey grips to go with it.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 06-29-20 at 08:28 PM.