View Single Post
Old 09-12-10, 09:54 AM
johnr783

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CNY James
The shop I was at yesterday recommended that I try 58's. I've always wondered b/c my torso always felt a little scrunched on my 56 but anyplace I ever went always said that I should ride a 56. The guy that recommended the 58 to me (shop owner) just happens to be pretty much my clone in terms of physical dimensions. He said everybody always had him riding 56 but he feels more comfortable on the 58. This guy is worlds beyond me in skill and expertise so I was kind of glad to hear him suggest something that I had always wondered about.
I can understand that and I appreciate suggestions. Im talking about a person believing their suggestion is absolute and MUST be followed.

The situation I experienced, the person made a suggestion and I replied with a, "I've tried that size before, I prefer riding bigger." He responded by telling me, "Well what you like and what you should ride are two different things." I then explained how I had been riding for years on that size and havent had any issues. He came back with "You can buy this size but since it is against our recommendations we cant give you the satisfaction guarantee."

I hate that the following happened, but I didnt like the downtube shifters or the handling. I ended up buying the smaller size because it had better shifters and didnt feel sticky/slow on the turns. The reason I hate that is because it makes me feel like he won, even though I changed sizes for non-size related issues.

In regard to the OP. For me, the process of buying a bike is fun. Research, test rides, the anxiety of making that payment at the register, the feeling of walking it out the door and loading it up or riding it home etc. The interaction with the salesperson ranges from root canal to mutual excitement.

In your case, I think it was the timing. Old bikes people may still be interested in aren't being reordered because 2011's are out, couldnt ride the proper models/sizes, your daughter was with you so it sounds like you couldnt take that 10-20 minute test ride, so on and so forth. As for buying a bike being a necessary evil, I think that depends on the salesperson.