View Single Post
Old 05-29-17, 09:37 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by xodondum
backpack contains my lifeline: extra water bag, pump, spares, food, tools, patch kit and lock. not to mention keys, wallet, phone. the distance is too far to risk not taking it. are those trails paved?
Most of the route in that link are roads and not trails.

May I offer the following tips?

I ask because you stated in the other thread that you are a beginner. Most road riders don't carry that much stuff and hardly anyone carries a backpack.

This is just my experience...

• Planning rides around store stops means not having to carry too much extra water and food. Mapping websites such as Ride with GPS is great for this.
  • One tube, patch kit and two or three Co2 canisters are generally enough although some carry a pump.
  • A full set of keys is best left in the glove box and the car key alone can be carried.
  • No need to carry a wallet - just a heath insurance card, license, credit/debit card and a few dollars in a ziplock bag will do. I like jerseys with a zippered pocket for this.
  • Not sure what kind of tools you are carrying but a multi tool, tire levers and maybe a chain tool are all that's really needed.
  • Also not sure what spares you carry but one tube is typically enough.
The more confidence you have in being able to change tires and tubes and perform basic repairs, the less you will feel the need to carry. The same can be said of maintenance - a well maintained bike which has had parts changed proactively before they wear out is far less likely to break down.

The backpack seems overkill to me but whatever works for you is best.

-Tim-