View Single Post
Old 04-05-19, 05:00 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I've converted several mountain bikes, one of them 40 years old, No road bikes. At my age, I don't need dropped bars.

If I had a friend who was adamant about a road bike, I would install a TSDZ2 mid drive. It fits into where you have your cranks and you lose the front derailleur. However, you just pedal it and the motor will spin at a rate proportional to your effort, It comes with a throttle which doesn't have to be used and the motor stops when pedal force halts, About $400-500 for motor. Battery will be $500 and up.

If you're not far from Northern Illinois, talk to this man, I've never met him, but his shop sound very reputable.
https://electricbikereview.com/forum...-on-ebr.26707/

Electric Bikes, Sales And Service - Mike's Electric Bikes
I have just installed a TSDZ2 mid-drive on a bike intended, and used, for commuting and errands. It is great. Much more than the Bafang, with rotation sensors, it feels like a normal bike, just a bit more responsive. I am definitely getting my heart rate up, but it is easier to ride.
As far as the install, It was pretty easy. I did install it on a bike with cheap Shimano hydraulic disc brakes and they are more than adequate.