View Single Post
Old 05-03-19, 07:19 AM
tsanford2926

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by insignia100
I think I'm going to base my decision to buy a road bike on distance then.

There is a ride here in Knoxville in September, Pedal for Alzheimers, that has a 23 mile, 51 mile, and 68 mile route. I think I may start training for the 51 mile route...
I started in the spring of last year with a Schwinn hybrid from Walmart. I put almost 500 miles on that bike last year. Mainly started out at a 10-11 mph pace and got up to over 13 mph. Averaged 12.8 on a 40 mile ride for Bike to Beat Cancer in Louisville, Ky last September. I started club riding and some of the C pace riders use hybrids still. I upgraded to a specialized diverge comp road bike this spring and it has helped raise my average speed as well as my ability to ride longer and more efficiently. Although I love my road bike, the initial switch didn't prove to me that I was faster on the road bike than I was on the hybrid, maybe 1/2 mph at most. The key I have found is to ride more and ride longer and harder to improve your ability. I ride at 290-300 lbs still, but the weight is falling off slowly but surely. Good Luck!